Wednesday 13 April 2011

I realize that historically the function of painting large pictures is painting something very grandiose and pompous. The reason I paint them, however . . . is precisely because I want to be very intimate and human. To paint a small picture is to place yourself outside your experience, to look upon an experience as a stereopticon view or with a reducing glass. However you paint the larger picture, you are in it. It isn’t something you command!
" I realize that historically the functon of painting large pictures is painting somthing grandiose and pompous.  The reason I paint them, however... is precisely because I want to be very intimate and human.  to paint a small picture is to place yourself outside your experience, to look upon an experience as a steropticion view or with a reducing glass.  However you paint the larger picture, you are in it.  It isn't something you command!"  Mark Rothko, Artist

I came accross this quote and thought it was quite interesting as it is referring to human emotion and how aritists and their choice of scale for their work can make the viewer see and think and feel a certain way.

No comments:

Post a Comment